Thursday, May 7, 2009

Testing.... testing.... a very new thing.

Hello friends. Recently I posted on my personal blog about my current pregnancy complications. My first pregnancy ended quickly with medical attention, and it took me weeks to recover physically. I feel like I’m still recovering emotionally. While I had support of my immediate family and dear husband, I still felt incredibly alone. There was a specific kind of emptiness that I felt no one could fill.

Here I am, exactly nine months later, experiencing a second miscarriage. We told our family and extended family right away that we were pregnant. I wrote about it on my public blog for everyone to know about. I feel much more prepared for this trial than the first pregnancy. We quickly found out it was another abnormal pregnancy, and because we had been more open about it from the start, and even blogging about it, I feel like I have a much larger support group.

An acquaintance commented on one of the posts that she was sorry, and said she was going through some of the same things, and it was not fun. I e-mailed her that day and we wrote back and forth all day long. By late afternoon I felt so close to this new friend and was so grateful she commented on my blog. She said later she almost didn’t leave that comment! But through the email conversation we comforted and consoled with one another.

We wondered how many other people around us were going through similar fertility/losses as we were. Also, how sad it is that we keep these trials to ourselves. Because, they seem to be socially unacceptable to bring up and discuss. Why is that? Clearly such topic of conversation would arise when the rare situation would permit itself amongst acquaintances. However, we discussed that it may be wonderful to somehow bring us all together so we might sympathize and support each other.

So let’s give this a try. The purpose of this blog is to create a venue to support one another with our struggles of bringing our family here on Earth. It is a tough subject for most of us. Especially at this time in our lives to be living in Provo, Utah let alone Wymount housing!! We are constantly surrounded by the one thing we want or want to become: Beautiful families, beautiful newborn babies, and beautiful expecting neighbors.

I suspect a large variety of comments, stories, and advice might be shared. I am a little concerned of the likelihood this site may offend some. From experience, after someone tells me a story or tries to comfort me and it actually just makes me more depressed or sad – I just have to remember they have good intentions and mean well. I know that sometimes there is just no story or advice someone can say that heals the hurt you feel at times. But also, the majority of the time I don’t even know what the rights words are for me to hear! Sometimes there is nothing that can be said and you just have to cry. But let’s just be here for each other. Comparing my first loss to this one - the difference is absolutely amazing. I have felt extremely uplifted and supported as so many loved ones are praying for us and have kept us in their thoughts. It has made this journey much more bearable. I hope we can all help each other out.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that it's been exactly nine months for you and this is happening again. It's funny how much those numbers are important... June 4th is my no-longer due date coming up, and I'm just dreading it, more than mother's day I think. Thanks for inviting me to this blog, I feel honored in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Megan, I hope my paltry attempts at comfort don't depress you. I wish I could just give you a hug right now. Sometimes I feel so selfish that I have been voluntarily childless for so long. Sitting here in my office in Virginia, I am in tears for your pain (and I am NOT a sappy person). I'm so sorry.

    In the meantime, thanks for inviting me, your writing is beautiful, and I love the background.

    ReplyDelete