Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Kindred Spirits

Megan asked if I could share my story, and it is sort of scary to put up here when I don’t know what you might think of it. Every part of it is really vivid for me, but I’ve tried to keep it to the main details. I guess what I hope is that if you’ve had something similar happen, that you don’t feel alone.

Last fall I found out I was pregnant, and a couple of weeks later had an ultrasound where I saw a joyful little heartbeat. It was crazy: a little white bean that was the baby, and inside of that, a little area that went black-white, black-white, black-white. A few weeks after that, I had some cramping and saw a tiny dot of blood. The doctors told me if I ever saw any blood with cramps that I should call them. When I called, they were skeptical, but they told me to come in if only to put fears to rest. My doctor did another ultrasound, and I could see the tiny white bean that was the baby, and inside no flashing black-white, black-white. No more heartbeat, that is. I was 8 weeks along. My doctor was very sweet and walked me through the options for getting the baby out, but it was only 12 hours later when it started happening on its own. Around 4:00 am my husband had to take me to the ER because the pain was too bad. I found out later that it was labor pain (I didn’t know you could go through that that early), and the pain wasn’t stopping because the “blood clot” – that’s what they called the baby – was stuck behind my cervix, so the doctors had to help me get it out.

In the hospital, I asked to see what they took out of me. The nurse put what they had taken out inside of a plastic sample cup and handed it to me. We weren’t sure at that point if we had gotten it out or not. I didn’t see anything but tissue at first, but then I noticed a small placenta, and then I saw the baby, just a tiny flesh-colored bean with its back up against one side of the cup. I held onto the cup for a long time.

I know that even getting to the point of seeing the heartbeat is so much to be grateful for, and that this was just my first pregnancy so I have good odds of success in the future. It was hard though, to see the little heartbeat and to lose it so traumatically. After I lost the baby, my only thought was to get it back in there. Or at least get another one back in there. It’s 6 months later now and I’m not pregnant, we’re still trying. I flip back and forth between feeling scared of being a parent, depression from what happened, sometimes jealousy when I see women as far along as I should be, sometimes guilt when I feel that I am moving on (because I don’t want to), and when I see a baby – not so much longing as sadness.

I don’t know why it happened. There are tests that they can do, but my doctor told me that they cost thousands of dollars and they don’t really do those unless you’ve miscarried a few times. There are lots of questions that you think but won’t get answers to any time in this life. There are also questions that I wasn’t asking that were answered. After the ultrasound where we saw there was no heartbeat, just getting in the car was hard. Shutting the door was hard. Turning the key. I was wondering about the wisdom of driving home when I had so many tears clogging up my vision. I felt like I was being ripped apart, exactly in half from top to bottom. And then, as I sat there with the motor running, I felt like Heavenly Father loved me. Of all the things to feel, in all the times and places, that is what I felt sitting there. Not “you’re going to be ok” or “things will be better in the future” – just “I love you.” I have never felt it so strong or been so sure of it. I remember driving home and thinking how weird it was to have those two feelings juxtaposed: feeling like my heart was being ripped from my body, and the feeling that Heavenly Father loved me so strong it was like a presence right there in the car next to me. I know that’s not everyone’s experience, and I don’t know why it happened that way for me. I just know that after that, and in the months since, no matter how empty I felt or how much I wanted to be angry, I still knew what happened in that car. I’m not saying it wasn’t bad, it was, that’s why I didn’t get the “you’re going to be ok” feeling. But it has really helped to feel loved, by God and my husband and family and friends.

A month after my miscarriage, I was back in the hospital with an unrelated issue. A nurse overheard me say that I had miscarried recently, and she came to me alone later and told me that she had just miscarried the week before at 8 weeks. She was the first person I had spoken with in that whole month who had miscarried recently, and I remember just feeling waves of relief speaking with her and hearing her story and sharing mine. That meant so much to me, so I hope that my sharing this hasn’t brought up any bad feelings for anyone. If anything, I hope you at least feel that there are kindred spirits out there.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience Breanne. It touched close to my heart when you shared your particularly tough moments. Like holding the cup close to you in the ER. And expressing how hard it really was to get in the car after that u/s with no hearbeat. There were a few moments coming home from family functions where I had to pull over and just bawl and bawl. Once, my two sister in laws who were both expecting were sitting on the couches in a living room while I was doing dishes, and one was talking about how uncomfortable she already is (just 4 months along) and complaining about her pregnancy. I got soooo upset, we had to leave right then. Unfortunately we were in separate cars (seth and I) both driving our cars and I had to pull over. I was incredibly upset.

    I was upset with God. I didn't expect anyone to understand how I could be upset with my heavenly father, but I was. I was just so hurt. I felt like I had been doing all he asked of me in this life so far. I even felt he 'owed' it to me. Some extended family members said I needed to straight up repent. I think that just made me more 'hard' though. this family member said I had to accept God's will and their were no "buts". Yea... this family member didn't say it to my face, I heard from another family member. But oh my did that hurt to hear!! Anyway, Of course I loved Heavenly Father and I knew he loved me. But I was still so hurt and feared he was angry with me. or that maybe I was being punished for something I had done.

    But Seth helped me realize these were normal things to happen to our imperfect bodies. Heavenly Father didn't will or wish it upon me. Perhaps I was just going to experience no matter what so he 'helped' by it happening at the time it did, and everything. I don't know... but I have found peace in it all. I think that is such a sweet experience you shared about him sending his love to you in such a physical and spiritual way.

    I think you would agree with me when I say that I am grateful for these hardships b/c they give me experience that I can know how others feel when they're going through infertility/miscarriages. I don't know exactly how they feel, and I still don't know the right words they need to hear - but I do have an idea. I'm grateful for that.

    With this last pregnancy Seth gave me a blessing of comfort the day we found out we were pregnant. Heavenly Father pretty much told me to stay close to him in Prayer throughout this experience and to focus on fulfilling my calling. The next day we found out the labwork showed how low the hormones were, and it wasn't really normal. We went to the temple and I felt strongly all would be okay. I really hoped that meant we were going to have a successful pregnancy, but at the same time felt I should take it one day at a time and not get too excited. And then 9 days later I miscarried. But I have felt incredibly strengthened and no where close as I was depressed during my first pregnancy loss. I haven't been frustrated/angry with Heavenly Father at all either. I have been more close to him, and have had great opportunities in other areas of my life throughout this adventure.

    He really is watching over us. I hope you continue to feel strengthened. Again, thank you for sharing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your response, Megan. I do agree with you about having the experience, and how it helps you to know what others might be feeling. I am grateful for that, too.
    It's odd how at these points in our lives, there always seems to be someone who says something incredibly insensitive, even cruel. I'm glad that if anything, at least this time you have felt more strength and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your stories. You really are inspiring to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your stories ladies! I had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy as well. It's been four years, but the loss is still hard. Thank you for starting this blog, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I feel a little silly reading this blog since I have never had a miscarriage, but I have felt the pain of leaving the hospital over and over with no little one to show for it, and I have also felt the love that Heavenly Father has for his children who are in pain. When I read these stories, I felt that love again.

    ReplyDelete